The Greatest Weight Loss Article Of All Time

image descriptionPosted by ACalorieCounter image descriptionJanuary 3, 2008 image description136 Comments

Alright, so it may be a tiny exaggeration. And even if it wasn’t, my opinion may be slightly biased considering that I am the writer. And sure, using fun attention-getting titles is something I’m a big fan of doing. However, what I can say with absolute certainty is that “the greatest weight loss article of all time” is exactly what I set out to put together.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that this is the week when millions of people around the world make their New Year’s Resolutions. I also mentioned that the #1 resolution may very well be to lose weight.

I then mentioned something that probably sounded a bit strange… that you should not spend a second of your time doing anything weight loss related. Don’t research. Don’t learn. Don’t buy. Whatever you do, don’t go out and look for weight loss. My reason for this of course was that I was going to “bring weight loss to you.”

And now, as promised, I present to you (I’m also a huge fan of overly dramatic introductions)…

The Ultimate Weight Loss Guide

As for a brief description, I’ll let its first paragraph do the describing:

This is it, folks. This is the first, last and only weight loss article you will EVER need to read. Only, this is much more than an article. This, my friends, is a guide. In fact, it’s the ultimate weight loss guide. It’s a collection of every single thing you will ever need to know about losing weight. Every helpful tip, every useful fact… it’s all here, compiled in one place, just for you.

If you need to lose weight, this is EVERYTHING you’ll need.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

image description Comments (136)

Leave Reply
  • Sean January 03, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Wow, thanks for doing my weight loss homework for me.

• Thoreau January 03, 2008 at 6:52 pm

I am so impressed-you wrote the perfect article. About 5 years ago I lost 160 pounds. I did it by reading everything I possibly could on the subject of weight loss, throwing out 90% of it, and then pretty much doing exactly what you say. Seriously-you distilled virtually everything there is that is important about weight losss into this article. I plan on passing it around. Kudos.
    -Thoreau

• Brian January 03, 2008 at 8:11 pm

You’ve got it all right. This matches exactly the Hacker’s Diet. I recommend it because it has good tools to determine your basil rate. http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html I lost 70 pounds with the simple caloric monitoring and good old fashioned control.

I recommend weighing every day, but plotting using a tool that smooths out the data. Like this one: http://infohost.nmt.edu/~carmiac/whdt/whdt.cgi

Good luck, all!

• aCalorieCounter January 03, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Thoreau, thanks for the compliments. And congrats on your own weight loss. 160lbs is pretty damn amazing.

Brian, congrats on your weight loss as well. I’m definitely familiar with The Hacker’s Diet. It’s based on all the right stuff. As for weighing yourself daily, it’s a great idea in theory, and some people can pull it off without any problem. But, I think most people would become way too obsessed with it, and daily fluctuations in the wrong direction would probably make the average person question their diet/exercise and start changing things.

• Kaliastrih January 05, 2008 at 3:24 am

Great site, very true indeed. Thank you.

• Denise January 05, 2008 at 4:41 am

This is really fabulous. Thank you. I estimate I have a whopping 100 pounds to lose — this is after losing 60 pounds on the South Beach diet and promptly gaining it back plus 40 more when I got tired of all the restrictions and the unpleasant side effects — muscle cramps, constipation, to name a few, not to mention feeling hungry all the time.

Anyway, I “stumbled upon” your article and am inspired. Thanks again.

• JanB January 05, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I found your guide and read it all the way through. I am done. For months I have been doing this, doing that, to try to educate people about common sense weight loss and you have done it already. I agree with you 100% and I applaud you for doing this in such a readable concise method. Might I link to your guide on my blog? I consider this the last word on weight loss. Absolutely perfect!

By the way, I have been advocating what you have written, but have never been able to do such a great job.

I have lost over a hundred pounds so far, with some to go yet and I have been worried about maintenance, but I am not worried anymore, I will just up my caloric intake as you suggested when I get ready to maintain and see how much it takes.

I appreciate your efforts and look forward to reading more of your articles, even though you said to ignore them.

Jan

• aCalorieCounter January 05, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Kaliastrih, glad you liked it.

Denise, I know what you mean. Maintaining weight loss with a diet that unnecessarily restricts certain nutrients/food groups is pretty tough. And when you realize that it can be done with a balanced diet that restricts nothing but the stuff that should be restricted (unhealthy junk), it just seems so silly to even try. At least you learned from it. Too many people do exactly what you did and then just keep doing it over and over with some other gimmick diet.

Jan, thanks for the compliments. Feel free to link away. And congrats on the 100lbs lost. A number like that is amazing to hear. You’ll be completely done and ready to maintain before you know it. Awesome job.

• Samantha January 07, 2008 at 3:54 am

Thanks so much for this! I’ve gained a bit of weight recently and I was thinking about ‘not eating after it gets dark’ and a lot of other fooey ideas. I’m 18 and a size 17 [pants wise] and I’m uncomfortable with it. Not because it’s not what’s ‘in’ but just because it’s not me. I do plan on counting my calories and I do plan on doing at least 30 minutes of exercise a day! This guide made me feel like I can do it!

• Laurie January 07, 2008 at 4:20 am

A few years ago, I dumped all the ideas of ‘fad dieting’ in favor of pretty much every single thing you wrote about. Forgetting the idea of ‘image’ and focusing on my health, not obsessing over my appearance, and making the decision to change how I ate FOREVER. The weight came off, about 70 pounds over two years. I had my ‘indulgence’ days but I learned to prepare my own treats from scratch without all the processed stuff contained in store bought stuff, and it made such a difference [especially in quality and flavor!]. Experimenting with healthier foods became like a hobby almost, it took awhile but I learned to put meals together that I love eating, and that are good for my body. Thank you for presenting the reality of weight loss and health the way you have. Most people call it ‘the hard way’ and it can be at first [it was for me], but after awhile it really does become easy and enjoyable. Thanks for breaking it down so well and telling it like it really is. I’ll be passing this on to a lot of people.

• B January 07, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Everytime I come back to your blog you always have something good!!! After New Year.. I went down hill.. while a lot of people started with a new year Resolution – Weight Loss… I’m slowly being lazy. But I’m happy to read your great information to kick my butt and continue to work HARD again! Great motivation! Keep up the Good work… Thanks for all your time that you put in to this =)

• Bronwyn January 13, 2008 at 7:56 pm

I really appreciate the time you spent on this article. It’s so helpful. As far as the limitation on drinks, I was wondering about herbal teas, vegetable cocktails, and stuff i make with my own juicer. Would these actually make weight loss less effective?

• Eric January 15, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Great article! Had a question though it may more be like a suggestion. You mention in your common myths section about the pitfalls of thinking more reps will tone muscle. One idea that I’ve heard is that if you build lots of muscle and then stop exercising, the muscle will turn into fat. To me, that doesn’t seem to make scientific sense, but obviously going from heavy exercise to no exercise will probably result in fat gain. Maybe you can add it to an article focusing on all the fads, crazes and myths surrounding body weight.

• Melinda January 16, 2008 at 4:11 am

“Workout” is a noun ie “I had a great workout.”.

To “work out” is two words ie “I am going to work out now.”.

Good article..

• Jason January 17, 2008 at 11:23 am

This is wonderful. Great website, and great guide. Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to write it.

• Vicky Virtual Assistant January 22, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Awesome blog. Thanks for putting all this in one place. I am in the process of losing weight the healthy right way and these articles will help. I found Sparkpeople which is based on most of the same ideas.

• sameer January 23, 2008 at 12:11 pm

great motivation thanks

• lananjosh January 25, 2008 at 7:39 am

YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION, I WILL BE SHARING THIS WITH ALL MY GIRLFRIENDS, IT ALL FINALLY MAKES SENSE. IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS LAST YEAR, AND THE YEAR BEFORE THAT, AND SO ON-SO ON, I WOULD HAVE ALREADY MET MY GOAL. I JUST FEEL LIKE I CAN ACTUALLY DO THIS AND STILL LIVE LIFE, YA KNOW. I GUESS IT PAID OFF GOING THROUGH EVERY WEBSITE THAT HAD SOMETHING TO SELL BUT NOTHING TO OFFER, I FINALLY STUMBLED UPON HERE AND BOY AM I JUMPING UP AND DOWN, YOU ROCK!!!

• Jake Silver January 30, 2008 at 3:42 am

Basically if I could have written an article on weight loss and maintenance, this would be it. It is perfect. I am trying to teach my family how to eat and this will be going out to them. Thank U a million times over fortaking the time to write this and putting it out there for free. It is the only thing people need.

• melissa February 18, 2008 at 10:03 am

Thanks. Nicely written. Tons of great information.

• Kevin February 20, 2008 at 9:58 pm

I use Stumble to mind numbingly browse the internet and most of time I get junk but once in a while I find solid gold. Such is the case with this site. Good job!

• Mike March 25, 2008 at 1:33 am

this was an amazing read! I rarely sit and read something this long but I was glued. My calorie maintenence level is 3500 cal. so I need to intake 3000 cal per day and I guess Im not doing to good. Today I had cereal 300G, 2 bananas, 1 apple, lunch(280cal), and a salad for dinner(300cal?) Iam very active at work and I jogged about 20 minutes today. Am i doing harm or losing weight?
    thanks,
    Mike

• Frannie March 26, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Great writing! Easy to understand. All the things I’ve learned put into one easy to read, easy to follow road map. Now….I need to put it in gear and into action! Thanks!

• Nancy Keswani March 29, 2008 at 9:22 am

Thorough, easy to understand… a great article.

Just one suggestion… a section on DIETARY FIBER. I’ve found that this is crucial both to my overall health and my weight-control goals. Although the RDA for fiber is 25-30 grams/day, most Americans are lucky if they consume half that. I eat at least 40g fiber/day and try to do better than this. I recommend it highly!

• Grant Gardner March 31, 2008 at 11:18 am

Just had to come back and report on my progress at this point. I LOVE this article – with it I have lost almost 15 lbs. in the course of 5 weeks. It really gave me a lot of inspiration to keep going and do what I’ve been needing to do for a while now. Thanks so much!!

• Lacy April 01, 2008 at 3:09 pm

You did it again. Wonderful article. It gave me the extra push to lose the last 15 and finally be at goal. You’re an amazing man to put all your time and effort and research into something for free. Thank you again!!

• Mike April 16, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Great article on weight loss. There seems to be only one confusing thing for me. You go back and forth between weight loss and fat loss interchangeably. You say “3500 calories less per week equals 1 pound of lost fat”. Is this really true? What dictates the fat being lost compared to muscle being lost? Reducing calories will definitely reduce weight, but not 100% of that weight will be fat. Maybe a paragraph saying how to steer that weight loss in the direction of fat would be useful. Thanks again for all the well written info!

• Elli April 22, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Great website, thanx for the 3500 calorie per pound a week loss info, never knew that before.

• Kim April 29, 2008 at 3:28 pm

This is an awsome website and explains everything in plain English and now it all makes since. I guess I have to do the figures and see what I should be eating, LOL, and I am off. I have some CD’s that I ordered on weight loss but when they arrive I am definitly returning them ASAP. You have done a wonderful job on the site and I am so glad to be able to come and see how many calories are in foods right away. Awsome Job

• Pitxitxita May 27, 2008 at 9:22 am

Wonderful guide! Thank you for sharing it with everyone. As others have said – I had worked my way around to pretty much the same conclusions. The guide is easy to follow, well organized and easy to move between sections to find what I am looking for this time.

One thing that I have found that helps me monitor my calories in/out is The Daily Plate. It makes logging my food/exercise very easy….and it’s free (90% of features anyway) For me, it takes most of the guess work and hassle out of figuring out just what I ate and the nutritional information for it. As I continue on my journey I will be referring to your guide often.

• kaiser May 27, 2008 at 10:35 am

is it possible to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time?
    if, for example, you are eating enough food to build muscle but you are also on caloric deficit, is that possible?
    i mean maybe not that much muscle can be gain but can you gain some muscle during caloric deficit if you do progressive overload,eat tons of protein and still lose fat?

• Caitlin May 27, 2008 at 9:38 pm

I’ve seen so many articles on the web and never gotten through the first sentence or two. I read this entire guide and it’s given me some motivation and confidence (the comments on it helped also). Just like the first poster said, thanks for doing my homework for me :)

• Brittney June 03, 2008 at 2:24 pm

This is a fantastic article. You are so right about everything too, it took me SO LONG to weed out the good and the bad, and you have it all here. I lost 40LBS after I had my son and it was a lot of ups and downs because of all the lies out there on tv, in magazines and books. Thank you for helping people lose weight, with no hidden agendas.

• Ronnie June 11, 2008 at 2:25 am

This website is awesome. I lost over 30 pounds a lot faster than I thought I could. People I hadn’t seen in a month noticed right away, and couldn’t believe it. I feel great. Thanks a lot.

• Kristy H. June 18, 2008 at 8:09 pm

You’ve already received tons of kudos…but I felt it important to let you know that your GUIDE really helped me to kick it in high gear. I’ve been thinking and talking but not actually doing anything to lose my extra 15 lbs…and now I’m encouraged, inspired, and thankful. I can’t thank you enough for sharing this information in a straight-up easy to read (no reading between the lines) type of format. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. =)

• Gayle June 19, 2008 at 12:46 pm

This is the absolute best instructional and theoretical article I have ever read concerning weight management. Loved it, LOVED IT!! Thank you. This will be my guide for the remainder of my life. Awesome!

• connie June 24, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Wow, amazing, thank you for the feedback.
    I’ve just read all what i had to know about loosing weight.

• Bert July 25, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Great , simple and 100% accurate and true! Well done! I was a boxer for many years and always went into the ring at 210 @ 6’1. My off season weight was 220, so I lost 10lbs many times. I watched guys crash diet, and use every kind of fad..both pills and schemes.My own heart told me to do it just like you have written.Though not sensationalized, it is the only correct way to loose weight. But the human condition will always fall for the hype..too bad cause what you have written is all that is needed. Geat work.

• karen July 28, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Thank you so much for all the work you put into this! I use it exclusively and am finally enjoying the challenge of embarking on a truly sensible lifestyle!! You have taken the mystery out of dieting. I really appreciate your website and I enjoy reading all your teachings — even the diagrams!

• DEB July 31, 2008 at 4:21 pm

I finaly found your website by entering’ accurate calorie counter’ into googles search engine. What I was expecting was a list of foods with their calorie count ; what I found was a down-to-earth straight talking article on the best way to loose/gain/maintain wieght. Excellent. And it is free ! In my late 20′s I needed to lose weight and found counting callories certainly worked, Now I am 76 and again (having given up smoking and put on 2 stone very quickly , 8 years ago ) ,you have inspired me to get going on my plan once again.Thank you.

• Amanda August 06, 2008 at 10:18 pm

I want to thank you for saving me $39.99! Just before I read your article, I had decided to purchase “Burn Fat, Feed Muscle”. However, now that I have read your article, I don’t feel like there is anything additional that I need to know to lose these 25 pounds! You make it so simple! Thank you from my check book and from me!

• Brendali August 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm

I just happened to stumble on your page, and I am so glad I did! I have tried everything from just plain starving myself to Atkins. Sure, you lose “weight,” but it always came creeping back. I am older and smarter now and want to shed a couple of pounds the healthy and right way. This article is now a favorite, and I will turn to it and make sure I keep on track. You are a genius for bringing out the simple truths of weight loss. Thank you!

• Laksmi August 21, 2008 at 2:34 pm

I looooooooved your article. So easy and fun to read. And clear and concise. I am recommending it to all my friends and family.

Thank you SO much for writing it. It has helped me a lot and I am sure it will for many years to come.

Thank you!

• Irene September 12, 2008 at 9:55 pm

WOW.Best article ever!!You did great job my friend.It has helped me a lot and as I can see too many other people.Keep up inspiring us!

• Joys2001 September 19, 2008 at 5:01 pm

I REALLY wish I had read this about 10 years ago. I could have saved a fortune on the many different diet books I’ve bought. I will pass this on. Thanks.

• Andrea October 22, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Thank-you. I have been telling people this stuff for years, but with all the other “weight loss professionals” (proffiteers) saying the opposite sometimes, it was hard to be believed. After putting on so much weight during pregnancy (and after) i started to believe that maybe i was wrong. I see now that i am not, and i can do this. I liked to call this the chocolate frog diet, if you want to lose weight, dont eat the chocolate frog, or play 20mins of squash to burn it off. Dont want to play 20 mins of squash or the equivelent in some other excersise? Then dont eat the chocolate frog or have a salad for dinner. Nothing tastes better than losing weight and staying healthy.

• Lex December 14, 2008 at 9:31 am

What a wonderful thing to do – putting this up for free in order to help people (like me) get real about what dieting is, and isn’t.

I’ve tried everything, and although this was basically the first info I learned about weight loss oh so many years ago, it was buried somewhere beneath all the the books and scams and “methods” – you brought it back to the surface and gave some very helpful hints to get it working.

Thanks so much for all your time and effort!

• Bev January 10, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Thank you sooo much for the article. I just knew when I first stumbled across your article, that I was going to be ask to purchase something. Thank you for caring enough to write and give so much information that many of us just didn’t realize. I’ve told others about your article, keep up the great work, you will recieve a huge blessing for it!!! God bless!!!

• Simone January 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Your article is incredible! I recently joined a program that follows pretty much EVERYTHING you detail. The only difference is you gave this information for free and I paid over $1500 for it!

However, I suppose that’s not all true. For my payment I did get a personal trainer, meal plan, weekly monitoring by a nutritionist, and gym membership, and this all does a lot for motivation.

Thank you for your article – I plan to check back often!

• Angela January 20, 2009 at 11:00 am

Thank you. I just finished reading the Ultimate Guide and it confirmed everything I have always believed about weight loss. I turned 37 in November and weigh 185 lbs at 5 feet 1 inch tall. I am heavier now than when I went into labor with my first born son. I decided that this is the year for me to get healthy again. I am determined to fit back into my size 10 clothes by the time I turn 40. I figure 2 and a half years will get me there. I intend to get my husband (6 feet, 240 lbs.) healthy as well by then. Thank you for this site. It is immensely helpful with keeping track of what I eat each day.

1 2 3