Question and Answer: Part 1

image descriptionPosted by ACalorieCounter image descriptionJune 24, 2008 image description71 Comments

Something big is coming to a Calorie Counter pretty soon. And yeah, you’re going to like it… a lot.

Until it’s all ready to go though, I came up with a fun little idea. See, I get a bunch of emails daily from people asking me a variety of stuff. I then try to answer as many of those people as I can. While doing this I always kind of think “hey, I bet other people would like to know the answer to this question too.”

That’s right, I begin all of my thoughts with the word “hey.”

So, I figured now would be the perfect time to try out the first ever round of a Calorie Counter’s Question And Answer Blog Post o’ Fun!

…or something like that.

Think up your best diet, nutrition, weight loss, weight gain, weight training, muscle building, product, supplement, food or aCalorieCounter.com related questions… and uhhhh… ask me them in the comments below.

I’ll then answer as many of them as I can in either one giant post or possibly separate posts if my answers are too long.

Feel free to ask more than one question. If you do though, just remember to do it in separate comments.

So um, get on your mark, get set, ask stuff.

**EDIT** Wow, ok… 71 questions have now been asked. I think that’s enough to keep me busy for a little while. Comments are now closed. Answers are coming soon.

image description Comments (71)

Leave Reply
  • Joe June 24, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Hello! Thanks for making such a great site!

I used to be 155 pounds, with a 34 waist, at 5’6.

I found your site and followed a lot of the advice (I came up with some for myself in the process!) and am now sporting a 29 inch waist, and have gone up 3 coat sizes (I wear a lot of suits). THANKS!

On to the question:
    My FiancĂ© is about 6 weeks along in a pregnancy. She’s about 30 pounds overweight and was hoping to drop it. We had been to the gym only once before she found out she was pregnant. My question is (and we’ll obviously consult with her OBGYN about this as well), do you have any particular recommendations for her and I with regards to helping her lose weight as her pregnancy continues? Is it a bad idea to try?

Thanks,
    Expectant Father.

• Paul June 24, 2008 at 12:05 pm

What exercises or muslce groups can I focus on to improve my posture?

Let’s assume I have the worst posture standing or sitting…hunch back, shoulders rolling forward, curved neck etc.

• Fredrick C June 24, 2008 at 12:07 pm

When is it a good time to switch a workout routine? Is there a period of time where a workout is effectine, and then should be switched up? Your thoughts?

By the way… the newsletter and blog kick ass.

F

• Jerome Bacon June 24, 2008 at 12:08 pm

What is the best fat burner to use when training?

• Kay June 24, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Growing up, I was always very athletic and trained daily as I was a member of National Karate team. That being said, today at the age of 29, I find that no matter what type of excercise I do (cardio, weight training, circuts) that my legs always bulk up. Although this may sound great (building muscle) as a female, I prefer to have muscular, but toned, thin legs…any ideas what I can do differetnly to avoid bulking?

• Marie June 24, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I’ve read “The Supplements And Products I Use And Recommend” and ordered the Fish Capsules, Whey Protein and Dextrose. My question is how much Dextrose do you add to the Whey Protein Drink? Also, the protein drinks says to add 3 oz water to one scoop. Does it matter if you add more water? THANKS for your time.

• mike June 24, 2008 at 12:10 pm

what are your thoughts on kre-alkalyn?

• Melissa June 24, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I just have a very broad question. I am looking into getting into Personal Training and wanted to know if anyone that reads this site has gotten certified and what certificate they have chosen? After doing a lot of research I sort of have decided on ACE but didn’t know if anyone has that certificate or anything. Any information is helpful!

• Kim June 24, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Is there a good low calorie substitute for Gatorade to replace electrolytes? Is there a suplement that helps keep them in balance?

When I am in really hot weather for a few days, I start to suffer electrolyte depletion (and heat illness) even if I do not overheat myself. I want to stay ahead of the problem, but I hate to bloat up on calories from Gatorade if I don’t have to.

• joe June 24, 2008 at 12:20 pm

What’s the best way, in terms of diet /exercise, for a 52 year old man to build serious muscle without packing inches on the waistline? I’m in good health, relatively fit and have been lifting for a few years.

• Matt June 24, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Hi, you probably get this a lot, but I’ll ask the question anyway.

What food consists within your daily diet. I have followed the formula posted on your bodybuilding website and have tried to get an even balance between protein carbs and fat.
    I have a very busy schedule and sometimes it’s hard to know exactly what to choose for my 6 meals so I’d like to see how you cope.

I wonder if you could outline a typical day of food for you e.g. Meal 1, Oats, Meal 2 etc..

• Diana June 24, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I would like to know what your opinion is regarding free weights vs Bowflex machines and how they differ as far as muscle building is concerned.

• Roger June 24, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I have never gotten into doing cardio, but have done a lot of weight training. Recently, I have had problems with my ankles and I am thinking that all the weight training and no cardio is what is affecting them. Also, I seem to gain weight specifically at my lower back and sides, and while I do understand proper dieting is what makes me lose this weight (which is not a problem for me), I am thinking cardio might help with this as well. I would like to maintain lifting for about 5 days per week, and I also want to incorporate cardio but I am not sure how. I am in my early forties and have maintained some form of moderate weight training for the past 15 – 20 years. My question is two-fold; will doing cardio help with both the ankle strength problem and weight gain distribution, and then how much cardio is enough – per session, and per week?

• Barry June 24, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Is there any truth in:
    Breakfast like a king,
    Lunch like a prince,
    Dinner like a pauper.

• Rob June 24, 2008 at 12:26 pm

So I know you’ve said before it’s impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. In fact you always addressed these 2 issues separately. But my problem is this is exactly what I need to do :)

Is there a program or a mix of cardio and weight training that would give me, and others like me the best chance of achieving this?

• Natalie June 24, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Love the site!!! Very helpful!!

I was wondering what you thought about taking Glutamine after a workout or in the a.m. & p.m. for that matter. Do you find this is helpful for your body? Also, how many grams of sugar would be considered “safe” to eat without gaining any weight, fat… per day?

• Stephanie June 24, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Is it ok to work the abs everyday or should they get a days rest like the rest of the muscles in the body?

• Richard June 24, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Same Question as “Rob” :
    Is it possible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time? I am now building muscle but I cannot stand the added weight.

• aaron June 24, 2008 at 12:34 pm

How many times should a person work each muscle per week to build the most muscle the fastest?

Thanks!

• Natalie June 24, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Oops! Just thought of another question, I think I’m going to like this new idea of yours…..

I’ve heard that if you do more than 55 minutes of cardio at one time you’ll start to lose muscle, is this true?

Thanks and looking forward to reading the replies.

• aaron June 24, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I read something once that said you should take a week off from working out every 8 weeks to let your body recover. Do you agree with this? If not, how often should you take a week off from working out?

• Ben June 24, 2008 at 12:38 pm

I have the same question as Rob, I’ve lost more than 100 lbs. over the last 10 months with good diet, cardio and lifting workouts. I still need to lose about 20 more lbs. but I’m really wanting to build good muscle for the summer months. Do I have to stop the weight loss regimen to maintain my muscle gain or can I still “diet” AND build larger muscles?

I feel as long as I’m taking in the protein and carbs that my body needs to replenish the muscle fibers after I workout, I should still be able to follow my healthy eating habits to lose weight.

Thoughts?

• Barbeito June 24, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Ok I got a good one. but this first question is going to be a side question. No matter which protien shake I take after my work out I get sick to my stomach after drinking it. I burp and almost get to the point where I want to vomit, In my shake I have creatine, L-glutimite, and currently drinking muscle milk….any ideas?

Ok now for my diet

in the morning I have a slim fast shake with a scope of muscile milk (doesn’t make me sick)

late morning I have a protien bar

I go work out at lunch doing cardio, then come back in and have a lean cusince sandwich

around 3 I have a protien bar

take NO explode around 5 and go work out for about an hour and half

then I have my protien shake

go home and go to sleep

• ken June 24, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I’m very tall, skinny, and underweight. However I have a bit of a belly. How do I get rid of that? I am very active, but I avoid cardio for fear of losing weight all over except my gut. If I eat less, my face looks gaunt.

• Swayze June 24, 2008 at 12:52 pm

How do you feel about HIIT regarding cardio? I have been doing it now for 3 weeks and much prefer it over steady state.

Thanks in advance,
    Swayze

• Jay June 24, 2008 at 1:02 pm

i love your site!

i read a lot of different sites and magazines like this and try out the workouts that are within, but i’m finding most of them are geared towards skinny guys who want to bulk up. if you look for workouts for fat guys who want to slim down, all you ever get is cardio cardio cardio. can you outline a lifting routine for us fat guys who want to get rid of our guts without so much boring, annoying cardio? if not a whole outline, maybe just some tips and tricks to modify our current routines that will help us get the weight off?

• Glenda June 24, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Is it better to loose the weight before building muscle. Having lost 20pounds 6 months ago, I have observed a weight gain of 10 pounds recently. My weights at the gym has since increased.

• MaryAlice June 24, 2008 at 1:10 pm

My TDEE is 2500 calories, generally to lose the extra fat, I successfully average about 1500 calorie intake a day, however there are times, my fat loss is not that great and I’m wondering if I need to increase calories to compensate for the workouts. I burn approximately 500 calories a work out combining cardio with weight training, should I increase my calories?
    Thanks for any advice,
    MaryAlice in Cleveland

• Steve June 24, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I’ve recently had an injury that appears to be related to muscle imbalances. What advice can you give on how to determine whether you have a muscle imbalance and how to build a workout routine to correct them. For example, should my triceps be able to lift the same amount of weight that my biceps do?

• Tonya June 24, 2008 at 1:11 pm

What is the best way to build up your endurance? When I go mountain biking I always have to stop and take more breaks than the other people that I go with. I work out with free weights and I do cardio and I do pilates, and I have lost some weight and am much more toned but I still tire quickly.

• Alma Cox June 24, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I am interested in gaining an extra 5 pounds. What health snacks should I chose?

• Jacquie N June 24, 2008 at 2:15 pm

1. Do you feel women have to exercise differently than men?
    2. What exercises would you suggest for women who are menopausal (metabolism has slowed down) to both tone up & lose weight?
    3. I have about 100 lbs. to lose. Along with eating a healthy diet, watching my portions & drinking enough water daily, do you recommend cardio, weights, or a combo of both to get results?

• Bo Baker June 24, 2008 at 2:19 pm

I am 64 years old and have tried to stay in shape over the years. I work out pretty heavily 4-6 times a week in my garage gym with mostly free weights. I can’t get rid of the outer layer of bady fat. That may be because I have yo-yoed with my weight over the years from 180 (current) to 237. I watch my diet intake, i.e., chicken, fish, oatmeal, lots of veggies and an occasional fat free ice cream or low fat popcorn. I do lots of waist and ab exercises but still have the veil of fat over the distant 4-6 pack. Help me, pal. I really like your honest and forthright approach to nutrition and body building. You are indeed the man!

• Bo Baker June 24, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I’m a 64 year old man who once had 18 inch arms and can’t get them back. I work out 4-6 days a week and use two bicep and tricep exercises per week. I pack it on and exhaust myself but the arms aren’t coming back. My diet is about 2300 calories a day of all the good stuff including whey and glutamine. I want my arms (currently about 13.5 inches) back to around 16 or 17. I hang on every word you say because you are the best and certainly the most informative out there in cyber space. Thanks

• Casey June 24, 2008 at 2:30 pm

How often should I do a leg workout? I am most concerned with the lower half of my body, so would like to do a leg routine as often as possible without overtraining. In other words, what is the smallest amount of time I can safely leave between workouts?

• Angie June 24, 2008 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been working out 5 days weight training/6 days cardio 45min per day. Usually after 6-8 weeks I hit a burn out point, were I end up taking a week or so off and then I go back. I usually don’t find myself eating 100% clean either. My question is: Is this good to take time off and am I completing messing everything up I have worked on?

• Shaleek June 24, 2008 at 2:50 pm

I’m 6’1 and currently weigh 205lbs. I’m trying to lose this beer belly of mine while at the same time gain muscle. How should I balance weight loss and muscle gain. I read your articles, but as far as the diets it appears that it’s either or. Can you provide any suggestions?? Thanks!!

• Hector June 24, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Hi,
    Im doing fine with calorie intake and watching what i eat. I need help with the sugar in my diet though. About how many grams of sugar per day is too much or too little? What should I definitely cut out of my diet if Im trying to loose all the fat around my belly so that i can get some great abs?

• Karen June 24, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Hey! (my turn!)
    To me, the answer is OBVIOUS. It’s the best pill – PILPOM – Put in Less Put out MORE.

And you have said it heaps. And heaps. For all you people struggling, I have a friend who halved her weight over 12 months. NO GIMMICKS. She still loves her wine, and her 3 chocolate biscuits a day. But she WALKS. Up to 3 hours a day some days. I’m not as committed as her, but my weight is coming down steadily, and I’m happy with that. And for me, it’s walking.

Keep up the great work, you have inspired so many. I keep passing on your website, and pass on to you a medal, for your honesty and sincerity.

• Jamie June 24, 2008 at 3:58 pm

What do you suggest for the 51 year old menopausal female. I’ve worked out for 15 years – cardio and weight training, but now, the middle is getting thick even though nothing much has changed. Can you comment? You must know some older women..

• jose June 24, 2008 at 4:04 pm

i been on vacation for 2 weeks, finding it hard to get back TO MY WORK OUT AND CALORIE PLAN. DID NOT GAIN MUCH WEIGHT ON VACATION ABOUT 3 LBS BUT MY MEALS ARE VERY DISTORTED

• Hugo E Contreras June 24, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Hi!! I’d like to know why or what is the cause of that heartburn when working out? What would be advised to prevented? Every time I’m working out, after ten or fifteen mns I start feelling a kind of heartburn. I drink a lot of water when I work out. I also got a little pill for acid control (ranitidine 75 mg), but I’m not confortable using it only to have a confortable work out. Thanks for you help!!!!

• Shawn Marie June 24, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Supplement question: The liver is vital to metabolism and food digestion. I have read some articles regarding Milk Thistle and how it aids the liver in it’s tasks. Do have any comments on Milk Thistle as a supplement during weight loss?

• JAke June 24, 2008 at 5:00 pm

I have been working out my upper body for about two years and want to get into doing leg workouts, but I am totally clueless how to go about it. I have started my mixing machine squats into my arm workout. Should I have one day just dedicated to lower body? What exercises for legs do you recommend? Thanks!

• Joe R June 24, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I am trying to gain muscle.

I work outside, year-round, in a very active job with no guaranteed lunch breaks (don’t ask).

Creating a calorie-surplus has proven to be quite a challenge. Any advice?

• elaine June 24, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Great questions! Can’t wait to read all the answers!

• Fauzana June 24, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Hi I so want to gain weight but its very hard to can you please tell some ways to do so. I eat normal but my weight just doesnt go up.
    Thanks

• Matty June 24, 2008 at 6:47 pm

What are your thoughts on using creatine/pre-workout supps?

• Andy June 24, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Sometimes we ALL get caught up in the moment, of work or vacation etc. What are some simple excercises, that we can do to maintain what we have all worked so hard for. I follow the your routine of 2 days on 1 day off 2 days on 2 days off. But sometimes I just get pressed hard at work an dfind myself with little to no time to hit the gym. Any recommendations?

• Teresa Young June 24, 2008 at 6:58 pm

I have been training at home recently as I’m over going to the gym. Would like a good weights workout (free weights) or a good DVD to guide me as I’ve always had someone telling me what to do at the gym.

I’m a 53 year pretty fit woman.